Hi Jeanette,
I have had several PET scans at UBC (for research purposes) and had an
MRI prior to diagnosis.  I also had a CT Scan (Cat Scan) some years ago
after an auto accident.  Whenever questions on scans come up I like to
refer anyone interested to UBC's excellent web site:

http://www.triumf.ca/welcome/petscan.html

You can link further from their site as well.  I hope this may help in
understanding the different scans and their purposes.

On  9 Dec 99 at 8:52, Leo Fuhr wrote:
> Is it true that PET(Positron Emission Tomography) is only used prior to
> surgeries and in medical research at present due to the prohibitive cost?
>
> Jeanette Fuhr 49/47/44?
> ----------
> From: Michel Margosis <[log in to unmask]>
> At 07:34 1999/10/30 -0400, tina wrote:
> > first starting having problems in november 1998, mainly
> >depression, headaches on left side of head and neck, and
> >tremor in right hand. Seen 3 regular neurosurgeons from
> >november 98' to may 99'. I received  a medicine for benign
> >tremor, because one neurosurgeon said since the cat scan
> >was normal I didnt have PD.
>
> My understanding of the subject tells me that Positron Emission
> Tomography scans are the only ones that can verify that the patient has
> PD.
> Michel

cheers ............... murray