Date sent:              Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:01:47 -0800
Send reply to:          [log in to unmask]
From:                   "J. R. Bruman" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: TENS Unit
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Phil E.Gesotti wrote:
> > A TENS is a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator. Don't you just
> > love these names. There are various models, but mine has an electronic
> > unit that looks like a pager that you wear on your belt. There are two
> > electrodes about an inch and a half square with an adhesive gel that
> > allows them to be attached to the skin. The electrodes are attached to
> > span the area of the painful contraction.
>
> In the 1950s, I recall, gadgets like this were sold as a means to build up
> abdominal and other muscles without the sweat, bother, and hard work of
> pumping iron in the usual way. The principle was simply to produce
> controlled spasms by electrical pulses that mimicked nerve signals, just
> like the cardiac defibrillators seen so often in the medical adventure
> shows on TV. My boss at the time had one and liked it because he could do
> his workouts while lounging in his recliner with a drink. Cheers, -- J. R.
> Bruman   (818) 789-3694 3527 Cody Road Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013

TENS units are different from the above.  The amount of current
transmitted (when the units are used correctly) is so small that the
patient cannot even feel it.  The units are designed for the treatment of
intractable pain and (we think) work by causing the production and
release of the body's own "endorphins" (natural pain-relieving
substances).  I use them in my practice on occasion.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"