I was waiting for someone else to answer this question. I recently bought my
second one. All I needed both times was a doctors prescription and of course
money. The second time I was on medicare and medicare and the supplement
paid for almost all of it.  I have four electrodes from each unit ,though at
times I only need two. They work for muscle spasm very well. As Phil said
the sensation is pleasant , especially when compared to the pain from the
muscle spasm. The impulses are rhythmic and actually help me sleep. At time
the unit is necessary to stop the pain so I can get around .I am not a PWP
and saw an orthopedist for a bad back. I don't remember if I had any kind of
insurance the first time I got one. All the prescriptions said was " one
tens unit"  You buy the electrodes, which are reasonable and can be reused
or disposable ( but which can be used a number of times ) All in all an
excellent piece of equipment. Nita