Since the sonicare brush has a rechargeable battery (I think, it fits in a
little plug in gadget between brushings) Sorry, I could say unit instead of
gadget, but it still wouldn't describe it.  The base of the brush fits into the
gadget and stands straight up, there is a cover for the bristles.The gadget
plugs into an electric plug  It does not take up much room.You can feel the
brush vibrate, just faster than a regular tooth brush.There is a little noise (
very little). You put toothpaste and ,of course water ,on it and then  press a
button. This is easy to do.  My dentist had me get it a long time ago. The only
thing I don't like is that it keeps going 2 minutes, but this gives you plenty
of time to brush, the outer, then inner surface and behind your back teeth. It
really does keep your teeth clean and your gums in good condition . He would
rather that I use it after every meal, but no one gets their druthers. The rest
of the time I just brush. My dentist also thinks I should brush 2 minutes with
a regular brush, I doubt that  I do- no timer in my hand :-).

The sonicare also comes with a booklet , which you do not need until you have
to change the bristle part of the brush. Nita