Phil E.Gesotti wrote:
> A TENS is a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator. Don't you just
> love these names. There are various models, but mine has an electronic
> unit that looks like a pager that you wear on your belt. There are two
> electrodes about an inch and a half square with an adhesive gel that
> allows them to be attached to the skin. The electrodes are attached to
> span the area of the painful contraction.

In the 1950s, I recall, gadgets like this were sold as a means to build
up abdominal and other muscles without the sweat, bother, and hard work
of pumping iron in the usual way. The principle was simply to produce
controlled spasms by electrical pulses that mimicked nerve signals,
just like the cardiac defibrillators seen so often in the medical
adventure shows on TV. My boss at the time had one and liked it because
he could do his workouts while lounging in his recliner with a drink.
Cheers,
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road