From: Bill Innanen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, December 13, 1999 9:24 AM
Subject: Dopamine vs. exercise

I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's, just one week ago.  Prior
to this diagnosis I styled myself as an avid long distance runner.
Over the last 9 months or so my running began to get shorter and
shorter as what I now know are dystonias hit my left leg under the
stress of long runs.  (Details can be found on my new PD diary web
page at http://Bill.Innanen.com/parkinsons/)

In a run/walk yesterday, I found a method of avoiding the dystonias
(which, in my ignorance, I've been referring to as "leg-locks").
This involves stopping running the instant I feel the "tightening" in
my leg that precedes a leg-lock.  I noticed that the length of time I
rest by walking seemed (by a qualitative observation) to be directly
proportional to the subsequent time I was able to run before I had to
stop yet again.

*********
Question:  Does heavy exercise deplete dopamine faster than normal?
*********

If the answer to this question is yes, then I think I can build a
mathematical model (with some strong simplifying assumptions - of
questionable validity) that should enable me to monitor the relative
changes in my net dopamine production (actual production minus
natural loss).  I'm going to have to start collection some
quantitative data to drive this model, but before I do that, I'd like
to know if my base assumption (that the answer to the above question
is "yes") is valid or not.

If you have any information on this, I'd appreciate it if you could
pass it along.

Bill

PS - Since I'm in digest mode, I'd appreciate a Cc in addion to any
on-list response.
--
Bill Innanen                     <mailto: [log in to unmask]>
                            <http://Bill.Innanen.com> & <http://mni.ms>