Hi Paul,

> Kathrynne: Thank you for the reply. As you might remember, I have been
> somewhat manic about insuring that I understood the relationship between
> Sinemet and protein because I'm tackling this stupid disease on all fronts
> with as much knowledge as I can muster.

Boy, that's not manic in MY book, that's intelligence and a proactive
attitude!

> I wonder why, however, the
> instruction is to take Requip before eating. Is there some other process
> which affects the efficacy of the drug if you take it with meals or after
> eating.

According to the Clinical Pharmacology program, taking Requip WITH meals
can decrease the likelihood of nausea; however,

" Following oral administration, ropinirole is rapidly absorbed with
peak plasma concentrations occurring in approximately 1—2 hours.
Ropinirole oral bioavailability is 55%; food does not affect the extent
of absorption, however, its Tmax is increased by 2.5 hours when the drug
is taken with a meal."

I don't know the meaning of Tmax -- any pharmacists around who can
interpret that?

> I will also reveal that I have a secret agenda in my attempt to wean
> off Sinemet. I WILL BE ABLE TO EAT SUSHI FOR LUNCH AGAIN!

Now that is a very good reason!!

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy for Parkinson's disease
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique nutrition needs;"
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson'sdisease,"
J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/