The thing about having an affliction like PD, or any of the many debilitating chronic disorders
that can befall us, is that everyone close to the victim is also afflicted. They share
everything but the actual pain.

We spouses and children share the frustration, the depression, and the anger that comes with the
shattered plans for dreams of a future that are likely lost forever. Our social life disapates
and we become increasingly housebound along with the victim. We learn how much they did for us
as we take over the tasks of running a home one by one when their abilities diminish. We labor
physically in the care of our spouses or parents and suffer wrenched muscles, bruises and loss
of sleep. Our dispositions sour as we grow exhausted in our labor of love. We snap and snarl and
then apologize when circumstances overwhelm us, just as the victim does. We weep along with
them. We are victims too.

So there is every reason for a spouse to go with the patient into the doctor's treatment room
and to participate equally in what is discussed. Caregivers and close family members need to be
informed and we both need need support. I have yet to find a doctor that does not encourage my
participation, and if I ever do we will go elsewhere.

Martha (CG for Neal, 78,14)