At 13:29 1999/12/21 -0500, you wrote:
>One often sees messages commenting on how brave
>a PWP is, how well he is doing etc...

i remember re-meeting friends who hadn't seen me for some time
who expressed a wish 'that janet was doing better' and
said i had 'courage' dealing with my 'fate'

my sister piped up and snapped:
"she doesn't have courage!
she has Parkinson's!"

i laughed in agreement!
it's true

i don't feel the need for 'courage'
i don't feel i have been 'afflicted'
i don't feel the need for anyone's 'sympathy'
i feel that everything that happens to me
[good bad or indifferent]
is part of my learning while i am here

and my perception of
good bad or indifferent
is purely and solely my choice

i have the choice
of looking at pd as an 'insult' or a 'challenge'

which choice will produce an upbeat result in me?
which choice will produce a defeated result in me?
which choice will enable me to learn more and to understand more?
which choice might help me figure out some mysteries while i'm here?

i was physically born and thus must physically die
my physical time here is limited
no choice about that!

how can i be so 'positive' about my having pd?
easy

what kind of silly cigarettes have i been smoking?
none

any defeatist negative sour despairing thoughts i had about pd
[after going through the obligatory 5 stages of mourning]
were cognitive distortions
i.e.
were out and out lies to myself
due in part to the brain chemical imbalance
which is so frequently part and parcel of pd

i take sinemet to 'handle' my physical 'abnormalities'
i take prozac to 'handle my cognitive 'abnormalities'

this is my life
i love every minute of its reality
i will not waste a second of it on illusions

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada k0a 1a0