hlary blue, I agree with you. In my family we have always had that
opinon. For as long as I can remember we have always made sure that some
non-sick member of the family made sure they were there when another
member was sick and could not speak for themselves as they usually would
be able to.  I have been there for  my dad mom grandparents, children
grand children etc.  We need to be there for moral support and to hear
what the patient cannot or doesnot want to hear.  I also helps to have
that second ear when making decisions on the type of treatment the
patient ops for.  At first I was shocked when I was excluded from Dicks
doctors, and very angry.  We had many heated discussion about  this and
still do. He has always kept his ilnesses private from his kids and his
family.  I used to go along with this because I felt he had that right,
but I no longer keep anything from them.  I tell them right out what is
going on and most of them really are not interested.  To be interested
and to acknowledge there is a problem you will then have to do something
about it.  So I have told them all I will keep them posted but I do not
want to hear any opinions after the fact.
SuecgDick