In a message dated 12/18/99 8:48:47 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Erika wrote:
     .
     It is a pity that there is no money to be made by eliminating foods =
 from the diet, yet there is a lot of money to be made from medication. =
 Studies in the field of food intolerances obviously attract little if =
 any funding.=20 >>

Studies for food intolerance have been extensively carried out for example:
Our grandson has one of the 11 glycogen storage diseases (GSD) (rare forms of
muscular dystrophy...McCardles, Pompe's, Andersons Disease etc.)......genes
have been identified for these 11 diseases....special diets are required for
nine of the ll forms of this disease........GSD IV - Anderson's Disease
(brancher enzyme deficiency) requires a liver transplant, and the  GSD IIa -
Pompe's disease (acid maltase deficiency) is fatal for infants during the
first year of life....however, gene therapy is currently being tried with
three Pompe's infants (Dr. Chen- Duke University)

The University of Nebraska Food Science Department is known world wide for
studies in food allergies, food intolerance studies.

I could go on at length re: food intolerance studies.....but search the www
for specific information.......the comment re: food intolerance vs.
medication research is simply not true.

Rita Weeks, 55/10