Hi Yesim, Maryse,  Joao, Michel, Sonia, and Gil,

 I definitely continue to do much better on
Tolcapone (Tasmar) with Sinemet plus Selegeline
Hydrochloride,  than with no Tolcapone.

I hope anyone else comparing Tolcapone
to Entacapone, or those considering Entacapone
(Comtan and Comtess). may find the description
of Entacapone helpful.

 The message is  re-titled .

Ivan :-)
 Ivan Suzman        50/39/36       [log in to unmask]   :-)
 Portland, Maine    land of lighthouses         33  deg. F   :-)
Hi Yesim,

  I am a young-onset PWP, in my 14th year
since identifiable PD-related symptoms
appeared, in 1986.

  These many years of battling PD have allowed
me  an opportunity to accumulate an understanding of how
Entacapone, and its chemical relative,
Tolcapone, are supposed to work for people
with PD.

  Please remember I am not a physician.
I am only trying to explain what I think
is most relevant, to answer your questions.

  I would NOT replace Madopar with Entacapone.
Entacapone is designed to work in conjunction
WITH  Madopar or Sinemet.

 Entacapone is an inhibitor of an enzyme,
catechol O-methyl transferase (COMT).
COMT normally blocks dopamine. When COMT
is inhibited by adding Entacapone,  more dopamine
is thus able to reach the brain.

Dopamine is derived from levodopa, or L-dopa
(dihydroxyphenylalanine).  This L-dopa is contained
 in Sinemet, and in Madopar.  L-dopa, swallowed
in tablet form, must reach the tissues of the
brain.  In the brain, the L-dopa is converted to
the dopamine missing in PD patients.

Your father's Madopar ought to be more
helpful if Entacapone is ADDED to  his
Madopar.  The Entacapone may allow
him to reduce the amount of Madopar
he takes, and enhance better, smoother
walking and movemen in general.

I would suggest that you explain this
to your dad, and work with his physician
to see if the addition of Entacapone will
block enough COMT to improve his
condition, while also reducing symptoms
caused by dopamine deficiency.

I hope this all makes sense, and helps.