i look at my son
has his life been ruined
at 18, SAT score 1570,
yet he cant keep up
 with a 2nd string college - part time --
too stressed out to cope with exams and deadlines -
 Give him a chance to be a kid
let him goof off.
My 14 yr old looks at a bottle of pills, and her
  16  yr old sister moves out of home.
Am i a monster - no!
Neither was their father.
But how many survive the stress of two parents
debilitatingly  stricken
before their time.
At nine he was  helping his mentally ill father
fight aginst foreclosure
his friends were playing ball.
six weeks after barmitzvah he was saying kaddish ,
praying for a dead father,
thankful that his cancer was so  quick.
Dont study , dont get a job, indulge your needs
says the therapist (paid by the county)
I dont hav e the money to support him
and the socialworker poinsts out that
he willl lose the medicaid we're trying to claim -
 to pay for the surgery he needs.
Or work to get insurance - and ,
like his father, face a mental collapse instead>
What can i do , child of my heart
G-d gave you to me take care of.
now i just lack the money, but soon
i'll be needing somebody to care for me
who will that be?
and who will take care of you and your sister
when i am no longer there?

hilary blue (50/33/24)