From: judith richards <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: $80M Alzheimer's Project Launched
Date: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 7:54 AM

$80M Alzheimer's Project Launched
 By VICKI SMITH - Associated Press Writer

     MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) - Dec13, 1999 - West Virginia University
 and Johns Hopkins are joining to operate what they call the world's
only
 major research center devoted to Alzheimer's disease and other brain
 and memory disorders.
     The $80 million Blanchette Rockefeller Neurosciences Institute,
 named after the late mother of Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., will
 be housed on the WVU campus and bring together the world's top
 researchers in memory and cognition, the schools announced Monday.
     It will be led by Dr. Daniel Alkon, a 29-year veteran of the
 National Institute of Health and a medical director in the U.S.
 Public Health Service.
     Alkon and his colleagues have developed a new model of how
 Alzheimer's, at its earliest stage, causes molecular changes in
 brain cells. Their discovery may lead to new ways to diagnose and
 treat the disease.
     WVU pledged $10 mi the institute and $20 million
 will come from private sources, Rockefeller said. The West Virginia
 Economic Development Authority will contribute $3 million and the
 remaining $47 million will be raised in research grants,
 public-private partnerships and donations, he said.
     Johns Hopkins will exchange researchers, faculty and students
 with WVU, and also will conduct research at its campus in
 Montgomery County, Md.
     Rockefeller's mother died of Alzheimer's in 1992 at age 83.
 ``Our family was helpless as my mother virtually disintegrated
 before our eyes,'' the senator said.

~~~~
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                          ^^^^
                           \ /
                         \  |  /   Today’s Research
                         \\ | //         ...Tomorrow’s Cure