    -
    Erika wrote:
    -. She replied that neither she nor Dr Loblay or Dr. Soutter know of any published work nor had they seen any patients with Parkinson's disease at the clinic.
    It is a pity that there is no money to be made by eliminating foods from the diet, yet there is a lot of money to be made from medication. Studies in the field of food intolerances obviously attract little if any funding.

    Food additives have been discussed at length on this list.  The Archives might provide you with further information, especially concerning Nutrasweet.

    The special education parent community that I have participated in for some 20 years now has long made the association between food additives and neurological effects.  It is not only ADD/ADHD kids that have problems with these additives.  The more severe the impairment, the greater the affect on the kid - especially in regard to Nutrasweet.  Increased seizure activity has been observed  in susceptible children after ingestion of this additive.  Long before studies were done on the subject, anecdotal evidence indicated that it was best for neurologically impaired kids to avoid this additive.  My son (who has ADD) has an such an uncomfortable reaction to Nutrasweet that he avoids any food that contains the substance.  Because of JJ's reaction and the information I've gleened from the special ed community, I won't buy any foods that contain sugar substitudes of any kind - I just don't want to take the chance that my husband might have a reaction.

    In my home we cook everything from 'scratch,' not because we fear additives - but because we love good food.  Two days ago I made a large pot of lentil/fava bean beef soup.  True to its reputation, the fava beans enhanced my husband's Sinemet so that he functioned comfortably throughout the evening - and the soup was delicious to boot.
    -----
    God bless
    Mary Ann