Thank you, Margaret, for posting such a wonderful update of The Parkinson
Alliance and all the work being done to bring an end to PD.

I especially like the Parkinson Alliance logo slogan - "Cure Parkinson's
Disease by 2005"

In liew of the Holiday fruit baskets I usually send to clients I have sent a
check to the Parkinson Alliance.  Please send one of those lovely
acknowledgement cards to each of my clients to let them know they will be
helping us to cure PD.

And, also, let me know what I can do to keep the ball rolling.
Barbara

Re:>>NONPD: LONG / NEWS /  PARKINSON ALLIANCE FUND RAISING REPORT / Cure
Parkinson's Disease by 2005

Our second most important asset is THE PARKINSON ALLIANCE CHALLENGE:

-----We are proud to announce our MATCHING FUNDS PROGRAM.

-----All donations to the Alliance will be matched dollar

-----for dollar by the Tuchman Foundation.

-----Therefore, if you donate $500, $1000 will go directly

and of course, your donation is tax deductible to the extent that the

law allows.

In the last quarter of 1999, a golf tournament and a “5-K RUN” raised

over $200,000 for The Parkinson Alliance.  These were first time ever,

events and were so successful that they will now be conducted on an

annual basis.

We are also currently working on some terrific events across the

country:

Kentucky Derby Party – A black tie event, this will be held on the eve

of the Kentucky Derby.  The mission of the Gala is to raise awareness

of Parkinson’s and provide an avenue for those desiring to financially

support Parkinson’s research programs.  There will be famous food from

Kentucky, wonderful music, entertainment and surprise guests.  This

will be another first for raising awareness of Parkinson’s during the

Kentucky Derby.

Los Angeles Marathon – will be held March 5, 2000 and will be the

first time Parkinson’s will be one of the charities in this annual

event.  The Parkinson’s Unity Walk in association with The Parkinson

Alliance will be working hard on the West Coast to make this a great

success.

Bachelor Auction – The first annual—to be held in Princeton, NJ on

February 11, 2000.  Tuxedo-clad bachelors will be auctioned with

monies raised going to the PRO Seed Grant Program.  There will also be

a silent auction.

For more information about these events, or how you might plan an

event suitable for your community, and information about making a

donation to take advantage of our matching funds program, please

contact us.

The Alliance has relocated from Washington, DC to Princeton, NJ.  Our

new address is:

        The Parkinson Alliance

        211 College Road East

        Princeton, NJ  08540

        Phone: 609-688-0870   Fax: 609-688-0875

        E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

        Web page:       http://www.parkinsonalliance.net (under construction)

We now have an Executive Director: Carol Walton, who has moved from

California to accept this position. In her new role, Carol will be

responsible for coordinating fund raising events around the country.

Proceeds from these events will go towards funding Parkinson Research

Opportunity (PRO) Seed grants.

During 1998 and 1999, The Parkinson Alliance was instrumental in

raising $1.4 million dollars for PRO Seed grants, awarding 48 seed

grants - please contact us for a list of the 48 seed grants. For the

year 2000, the Alliance, partnering with the national organizations,

is planning to provide an additional 2 million dollars for the PRO

Seed Grant Program.

[...]

contact us. The Parkinson Alliance, Inc. is a non-profit organization.

WE ALL WISH YOU SPECIAL HOLIDAYS!

Carol Walton, Executive Director

Jim Cordy, President

Dale Severance and Margaret Tuchman, Executive Vice Presidents, AND

ALL the hardworking PWPs and volunteers, who are our FIRST most

important assets.

May this quote from DR. Gerald Fischbach, the Director of the NINDS be

the herald of our imminent cure:

        "I concur that we are close to solving, and I mean

        the word 'solving', Parkinson's disease. I hesitate

        to put an actual year number on it. I think with

        all the intensive effort, with a little bit of

        skill and luck, five-to-ten years is not unrealistic.

        We will do everything possible to reduce that below five years. I

wouldn't rule that out."  Senate Appropriations Subcommittee Hearing,

September 28, 1999.