Hi Susan,
    Glad to hear that you find benefit by being back on the Hallelujah diet.
Just to add to the info about modified starch intolerance, which I mentioned in a previous post (quoting from a some what shakey memory)
Your post prompted me to borrow this book again and reread portions. It chronicles Amy McGrath (MA  Ph.D. OAM) 's detective work that led to major health improvements in her hyperactive family.
     The glutenfree (coeliac) diet was a major step forward, though they are not coeliacs.
She found modified starches, cereal sugars, glucose syrups, dextrose (i.e. products of carbohydrate engineering which are not pure as we may believe, but have sulphites in them) also had effects.

 The first chapters are very readable and if you could get hold of a copy I think you would find that a lot of it correlates with your own experience. The latter chapters are very detailed and get quite technical.

There are also some dozen fascinating pages (pg 102-) on Glutamic acid and its related salt MSG.
When glutamic acid is broken down by the action of acids or enzymes, it resolves into four very similar breakdown  products which carry other names, glutamate, glutamine, aspartate and GABA.
Two molecules of glutamate make one molecule of glutamine with the addition of one nitrogen molecule.  Glutamate(the worker) and glutamine (the carrier) are forever changing from one into the other as they move through the body and are intricately linked with glucose metabolism.
Glutamate (as well as aspartate) is also known as a neurotransmitter in the brain, being synthesized from glutamine, and delivers energy to nerve endings in the brain (alternating uptake and release in and out of braincells). According to the book it is the major energy source in the brain.  GABA inhibits, regulating the rate of change to the non-toxic form: glutamine( which can diffuse the toxic ammonia back into the spinal fluid and bloodplasma.
The question whether glutamate can pass blood/brain barriers to have  a neurotoxic effect is still unresolved. However, transient increases in blood glutamate levels can apparently destroy neurones.
    It is all a very delicate balance.(and my partial understanding and sketchy description and does no justice to the well researched book)
Both MSG and (high) gluten content foods appear to be involved.

At the end there are a page or two of recipes for wheat free breads and other wheat free cooking.
    I was first going to send this note to you off-list, but since there appears to be quite some interest I
thought I'd post it here with apologies to those not interested.

The bottom line, as always, is ofcourse: "Is there a link with PD?"
Judith's post suggests this:
<snip>
   A recent study found that 57 percent of people suffering from
nervous
system disorders of unknown origin - such as shaky movements, unsteady
gait
and weakness or numbness of the arms and legs - were found to be
sensitive to
gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and oats.
    Researchers say that other cases of neurological disease which have
no
obvious cause, such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis, may
also be
linked to gluten allergy.
    Gluten is a part of every American's diet, from breakfast
<snip>

The title of the book, in case you are interested, is
    "One Man's Food" by Amy Mc Grath
First published in 1996 by Towerhouse Publication
    Box 737 PO, Kensington, Sydney NSW 2033, Australia

And, no I have no shares or stakes in the book, or company.
My only interest is to share what I came across and experienced, in the hope that mutual thought may lead to increased understanding and hopefully bring us closer to resolving the riddle of Parkinsons disease.
Funny really isn't it that the brain can study the brain!

Keep that ole Subaru chugging along Sue! :-)
                    HAPPY HOLIDAYS to one and all....from Erika.