-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FYI per your request
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:41:21 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Creator Charles Schulz; On His Retirement:All I Care About Now Is
Tomorrow; I
Want To Feel Better Tomorrow'

NEW YORK, Dec. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- "Peanuts" creator Charles Schulz, who
announced his retirement last week, tells Newsweek, "All I care about
now is
tomorrow; I want to feel better tomorrow."  Schulz, already suffering
from
Parkinson's disease, had several small strokes in November and underwent
surgery, during which doctors diagnosed colon cancer.  Hardly able to
draw,
he announced that there would be no daily "Peanuts" strips after Jan. 3
and
none for Sundays after Feb. 13.  The ideas do not come anymore, and
since his
strokes he often struggles to find the right expression, reports Senior
Editor Sharon Begley.  "Words are just gone," he tells Newsweek in the
current issue.

(Photo:  http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19991218/HSSU002 )

In an interview with West Coast Editor Mark Miller, which appears as
part of
the cover package, "Good Grief:  After 50 Years, the Creator of
'Peanuts'
Says Farewell to Charlie Brown," in the January 1, 2000 issue of
Newsweek (on
newsstands Monday, December 20), Schulz says his decision to retire was
not
hard to make.  "I used to think of cartoons all the time.  Lying in bed
at
night, or driving in my car.  Right now?  Not a bit."  Schulz also
weighs in
on the competition.  When asked to compare his strip to the more
satirical or
cynical comics of today, like "South Park," he says:  "Lee Mendelson
[his
longtime animation producer] and I keep saying, 'We don't care what
those
other people do, we can still do something that is decent,' and we have
beaten every one of them."

Schulz, who says the strips were always his ideas and that he lettered
every
one, admits there is a melancholy streak running through his work.  He
tells
Miller, "I'm glad you bring that word up because I have said that about
myself a lot.  It's just who I am ... I wouldn't doubt that it is a part
of a
lot of other cartoonists or comedians.  I think it is part of all of us
..."
He adds, "Have you noticed that I do a lot of spiritual things?  [On the
CBS
Christmas Special] I said, 'We cannot do this show without the passage
from
St. Luke.  I don't care what CBS thinks.'  I liked Biblical things," he
tells
Miller.

(Article attached.  Read Newsweek's news releases at
http://www.Newsweek.com
.  Click "Pressroom.")

For 50 years, 'Peanuts' has tickled America's funny bone.  But more than
that, Charles Schulz's characters mirrored our lives and taught us
timeless
lessons

about faith, hope and love.  You were a good man, Charlie Brown.