The symptoms of Parkinson's disease often first become apparent on one side
only.  This "stage" can last for months, a year or years depending on the
rate of progression you'll experience and unfortunately, there is no way to
predict this.

Fight your depression with good information.  Much of the depression
experienced by newly diagnosed patients is a "reactive" type of depression.
This is very natural to finding out you have a chronic, progressive
disorder.  However, by learning as much as possible about the disorder, the
treatment options currently available, methods of coping with symptoms and
side effects, and most importantly, how you can help yourself, your
depression will likely lift as you realize that a diagnosis of PD isn't a
death sentence to your way of life.  You will also learn how much is being
done in the area of research which is leading us closer and closer to
finding a way to permanently eleviate the symptoms, i.e., a cure.

There is so much available for PD patients and their families.  Take
advantage of it all - from this and other similar e-mail listings/services,
via the national organizations that publish quality information, and from
locally-available support groups.  There are many people and organizations
out there to help you learn how to cope successfully with those changes the
disorder WILL make in your life.  Just don't hesitate to reach out for help.

Jeanne Lee-Rosner
Associate Director for Educational Programs
Parkinson's Disease Foundation - Chicago office