For those who have had DBS or are considering it, I thought I'd pass along
Dick's interesting experience.  His condition has deteriorated lately, with
much more freezing, falling, bradykinesia, cognitive changes, etc.  He had
his stimulator checked yesterday - it was fine, after more than four years in
place.  No battery problems, etc.  The nurse-clinician in charge of
programming simply input a couple of changes in the programming, and he was
suddenly much better.  At that point, the freezing seems to have stopped
completely.  He was also much more alert.  The nurse was surprised at his
extreme degree of rigidiity when he came in, but that, too, responded greatly
to stimulator programming changes.

He had bilateral pallidal stimulations, which target dyskinesia, but do seem
to help tremor, too.  (His tremor is entirely gone).  Pallidal stim is not
supposed to have any effect whatsoever on freezing, though.  That's why we
were surprised and pleased to find that the right programming put a stop to
the freezing immediately.

Some of you may remember my writing about the study Dick participated in
three years ago, which proved by means of PET scan that he functions much
better mentally when his stimulator is on.  We were happy to find that a
minor change in programming of the stimulator improved his mental alertness
this time, too.

We're thrilled to know that further modifications in the programming will
probably continue to be of benefit as his condition progresses, and thought
those of you who have recently had DBS, or are considering it, would like to
hear of our experience.

Margie Swindler, cg for Dick, 55/18