Part of the reasoning behind this is that C is a water-soluble vitamin and E
is a fat-soluble vitamin. It's not that the vitamins are incompatible with
each other, just that they are most effectively absorbed by different means.
A multivitamin will be absorbed just fine with a well-rounded meal.

Personally I group my vitamins together according to this rule -- I take
water-soluble ones like C and B's, and Zinc, together with orange juice in
the morning and fat-soluble ones like E, Beta Carotene, and Selenium (which
acts jointly with E) with an evening meal.